Can you relate?
Can you relate?
You know you work in community theatre when:
- your living room sofa spends more time on stage than you do.
- you've ever appeared on stage wearing your own clothes.
- you can find a prop in the prop room that hasn't seen the light of day in ten years, but you don't know where your own vacuum cleaner is.
- you've ever appeared in or worked on any show written by Van Zandt and Milmore.
- you have a Frequent Shopper Card at The Salvation Army.
- you start buying your work clothes at Goodwill so you can buy your costumes at the mall.
- you've ever cleaned a tuxedo with a magic marker.
- you've ever appeared on stage in an outfit held together with hot glue.
- you've ever appeared in a show where tech week is devoted to getting the running time under 4 1/2 hours.
- your children have ever begged you not to buy them any more Happy Meals.
- you think Neil Simon is a misunderstood genius.
- you've ever appeared in a show where the cast outnumbered the audience.
- you've ever gotten a part because you were the only one who showed up for auditions.
- the audience recognizes you the minute you walk on stage because they saw you taking out the trash before the show.
- you've ever menaced anyone with a gun held together with electrical tape.
- you've ever had to haul a sofa off stage between scenes wearing a dinner gown and high heels.
- you've ever had to haul a sofa off stage between scenes wearing a dinner gown and high heels – and you're a guy.
- you've ever played the father of someone your father's age.
- your kids know your lines better than you do.
- your kids DELIVER your lines better than you do.
- you get home from rehearsal and have to go back to the theater because you forgot your kids.
- you've ever appeared in a show where an actor leaned out through a window without opening it first.
- you've ever had to play a drunk scene opposite someone who was REALLY drunk.
- you've ever heard a director say, "Try not to bump into the furniture," and mean it.
- you've ever appeared on stage with people you're related to.
- you've ever heard the head of the set construction crew say, "Just paint it black – no one will ever see it."
- you've ever appeared in a show featuring a flushing toilet sound effect.
- the set designer has ever told you not to walk on the left half of the stage because the floor's still wet, five minutes before curtain.
- you've ever been told that the reason your director has no eyebrows is because he handled special effects for the last show.
- you've ever said, "Don't worry -- we'll just hot glue it."